RE: Useful Gadget of the Week: USB to 4 RS-232 Serial Ports

Whyzat?

W.R.T. the original "Prolific chipset" issue raised I have to say
that the Prolific units I've had in the past have been OK for non-critical
use (programming C-Bus, HomeVision etc.) but - as I think was the
suggestion from the follow-up post - sometimes they *CAN* disconnect and
reconnect as a different COM port. If you're using USB to serial adapters
in a commercial (or, more importantly, medical or other mission critical
environment) then I wouldn't risk the consumer level USB to serial
interfaces.

For my own "critical" stuff (i.e. HomeGate interface to RS232
equipped kit) I have a couple of the KeySpan USB to four serial port
adapters. They're expensive and I don't know whether they are still made
but they've been absolutely bulletproof and have worked in scenarios
(programming up logic boards and running test kit at work) where other USB
to serial adapters have failed. They also come up repeatedly as the same
serial port no matter which USB port on the machine they find themselves
attached to.

Cheers

Phil