Re: BT HomeHub Networking Woes

  • Subject: Re: BT HomeHub Networking Woes
  • From: "u7412ay" <yahoo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 17:36:02 -0000

Aha... suspect may have found the cause..."bt web address
help" looks like a new "service" where they are capturing
DNS issues and re-directing you.  It is a new service they appear to be
rolling out although you can opt out here http://www.bt.com/help/webaddresshelp

Bah!

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Tim Hawes <timsyahoo@...> wrote:

> Thanks guys - it's nice to know I'm not on my own.
>
> I still can't understand the ".home" suffix and google isn't
very helpful.
> I've changed the workgroup name from "WORKGROUP" to
"HOME" but there was no
> improvement. I'll try the hosts file suggestion and fixed IPs but it
used to
> work without that so it shouldn't be necessary. I'm getting to the the
point
> where I'm about to reinstate my old (BT) wired router & access
point just so
> it all works again...
>
> I haven't (yet) resorted to the BT call centre but may have to, or
jsut get
> a "proper" router...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tim.
>
> On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 8:38 PM, u7412ay <yahoo@...> wrote:
>
> > Checking my home hub it hasn't been re-started for a couple of
weeks and
> > the firmware is an old release so doesn't look like anything has
changed.

> > I am looking more towards some sort of windows update for
introducing it as
> > my 2 laptops are exhibting the problem and are both patched up to
date but
> > the wife's still works fine and she is a bit hit and miss at
patching.

> > Regards
> > Allan
> >
> > --- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "u7412ay" <yahoo@> wrote:
> > >
> > > I have recently started to have the same problem although in
my case my
> > work DNS is in the list so it tries to connect to my machine
names with the
> > work domain appended. I thought it was something they had done at
work. This
> > is a Home Hub V1.  Has been happening for a couple of days. Will
try a wired
> > connection tonight. To get round it I added a local hosts file on
my laptop
> > for my home machine IP addresses which I specified as fixed
through the hub.

> > > For those that are saying replace it never had a problem
with it,
> > including Sonos support and by signing up to FON through the hub
I am
> > entitled to use BT Openzone & FON hotspots free of charge up
to my monthly
> > allowance which has been useful a number of times.
> > >
> > > Cheers
> > > Allan

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums