Re: Openfiler - anyone used it?

Hi Paul,

I'm using Netgear GS series smart switches, performance seems OK to me, but
I guess it depends on your specific requirements.  Big switches (costing in
the thousands) tend to have a CPU per port, lower end switches have a CPU
per group of ports - I made sure that I put the VLANs on different port
groups to spread the load.

The VMs using ISCSI run well - they are mainly desktop PCs though (XP) that
I use for specific tasks (e.g. VS2008 development work, Flash development
work), they are on 24/7 but don't get used 24/7 if that makes
sense....Previously I had these VMs running on a 1TB SATA 7200RPM drive
locally in the ESXi box and the performance over ISCSI is infinitely more
snappy - but the RAID0 SAS 15,000 RPM drives and dedicated controller in
the
OF box are responsible for that more than anything :-)

eBay is your friend for great bargains on ex-corporate IT gear that tends
be well looked after and run in air conditioned comms rooms.  I picked up
GS716, GS724 and GS748 Netgear switches over the past few years for
£80, £90
and £150 respectively - that's a pretty healthy saving over the cost
of new
ones!  Intel quad port GB Nics come up from time to time (PCI-e), depends
on
how much of a rush you are in!  I've accumulated 5 of those over a period
of
time and have never paid more than £100 or so for each.......again, a
significant saving over the cost of new ones.

I also found that Intel dual port GB Nics can be had pretty cheaply if you
have a machine that can take advantage of PCI-x cards (I use HP ML115
boxes).  I bagged 4 PCI-x cards a while back for £40!

One word of warning if you're going to use ISCSI for VMs - things can go
awfully awry with a Windows install if the ISCSI drive suddenly disappears,
so give consideration to making the OF box as redundant as possible and
don't forget the networking infrastructure in-between the ESXi box and OF
box too!

Hope this helps,

Martyn