RE: 24/7 versus limited on and off time for water heating

  • Subject: RE: 24/7 versus limited on and off time for water heating
  • From: Simon Haslam <simon_haslam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 13:00:17 +0000 (GMT)

Interesting - yes, mine's the same and I've also boxed in 3 sides with
25mm=
PIR board and rockwool. Once I got the 1-wire sensors hooked up though it'=
s quite clear - they're very sensitive - you can see from the middle
sensor=
when a just bowl of hot water has been run! We're currently using the imme=
rsion (as the boiler and solar aren't yet hooked up) so the obvious side
ef=
fect is that if you leave it at 50C without heating the water is too cold
t=
o shower a day later.

My suspicion is much of the loss is from the pipes at the top of the
cylind=
er - lagged in climaflex but probably not far enough. Apart from
convection=
from the copper, it could well be that little thermo-syphons are being set=
up in the vertical pipes taking heat out of the cylinder and radiating it =
up the pipe into the room above. Of course all of this is relatively small
=
beer (even at several kWh a day) compared to space heating.

Not quite sure how I got us so far off the HA topic ;-)