RE: HD Video Editing

  • Subject: RE: HD Video Editing
  • From: Jamie Whitehorn <jamie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 23:50:16 +0100

Hi Stuart,

I'm editing AVCHD from my Canon HS200. I use a i7 930 CPU on a Gigabyte
GA-X58A-UD3R motherboard with 6GB RAM and a pair of Intel 60GB SSDs. The
setup was primarily built to edit photos but also gets used to edit our
home videos. The software I use is Cyberlink PowerDirector 8 (I tried Adobe
Premiere Elements 8 but didn't really get on with it). The build was a
trade off of cost vs performance. I wanted the best bang for my bucks. I
really needed the performance to be quick because we can be editing a
thousand photos in a block and each second you take off the time it takes
to edit one photo saves you 16 minutes of the total.

OK, a fairly extreme system - though not as good as Paul's :-). But I found
one of the biggest differences was made by the SSDs. If the video files and
the temporary files are on the SSD things speed up alot. Obviously SSDs are
expensive and low capacity so as soon as we've finished editing we move the
video files off to normal disk. If you do decided to look at SSDs be sure
to read the reviews, not all are equal in performance.

HTH, Jamie