Re:Solar PV

  • Subject: Re:Solar PV
  • From: "E Jackson" <ejj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2010 10:39:43 +0100

Hi Darren

=20

I=92ve recently had solar PV installed =96 and its great!   I=92ve got
16x2=
35W
panels on a SSW facing roof and I get to export =91leky from about 7:30
til=
the sun goes down.  I=92ve just put in my first FIT =91Invoice=92 and
shoul=
receive over =A3250 (it was a short period =96 on a regular basis I expect
=
see closer to =A3500+ in Q2 and Q3, and =A3300+ for Q1 and Q4).  Plus, my
consumer unit actually runs backwards during the day =96 oh! Deep joy!!!!
=
I=92m
not expecting much in the way of export funds from NPower, but I have the
satisfaction of knowing that, on average, I=92m independent and am no
longe=
susceptible to the vagaries of the power companies/government.

=20

I looked at PV a couple of years back and decided that it just wasn=92t
economically viable, even with the grants available at the time =96 now,
however, with the HMG FIT scheme paying 41.3p for EVERY UNIT I GENERATE and
an additional 3p for every unit I export back onto the grid, it=92s a much
better return.  I=92m carefully accumulating generation data and have run
u=
p a
spreadsheet that shows my estimated breakeven, on a =A315,000 system, will
=
be
4.68 years (this estimate is based on several fluid factors and I=92m
conscious that it=92ll actually be longer than this =96 say 5.5 -6 years
wo=
rst
case).  Then its all =91profit=92 =96 index linked and tax free.  The ROI
h=
as got
to be up in the high teens percent and you can=92t get that anywhere else!!

=20

One drawback =96 you get very conscious of sunlight (or lack of it).  SWMBO
was on suicide watch for the first month, as I=92d be ranting at any cloud
that dared to cast shadows anywhere near my shiny new toy!

=20

Apart from that, the company I got the gear from were very helpful, the MCS
installers were the best fitters ever and the kit works flawlessly.
Ringin=
endorsements all round.

=20

I=92d be happy to discuss this anytime...

=20

Regards

=20

Elliot