Re: HD Video Editing

I have just undertaken a similar exercise. I went for an Intel i3 530
processor (£76), a Gigabyte GA-H55-UD3H motherboard (£88) and 4Gb
DDR3
RAM (£65). Funds were limited for this upgrade, hence the choice of an
i3 instead of an i5 (which was double the price) and also for choosing
the integrated video instead of an external graphics card.

I can't comment on it's HD video editing capabilities as I haven't done
any yet, but in normal use the CPU load is tiny and the core
temperatures stay around 22 deg C. Ripping DVDs and transcoding them,
the core temperature rockets up to 36 deg C and processor usage is
around 40% ish.

Having transferred from a 3Ghz single core Celeron, my new setup, whilst
modest compared to some systems, seems so much quicker.

HTH
Geoff

familyberry wrote:
> Help!
> I need to upgrade our PC to cope with editing HD footage from a
recently aquired HD video camera, so I'm looking for recommendations/advice
on CPU, motherboard and video card(?). I intend to use Sony Vegas Movie
Studio HD 10 editing software.
> I'm not looking for the ultimate, super-duper, fastest system just one
that will give reasonable performance. As always, cost is an issue.