Re: Help to 'sell' me CBUS

On 30/10/2010 22:19, Ben McCormack wrote:
> With the Saturns I try and keep similar settings in similar places ...

Me too...
> Cbus have also just released a new product called Wiser that is the PC
interface and also an interface with iPad. I personally don't know too much
about them as I don't have one (http://www.wiserhomeautomation.com/
- http://www.cbus-shop.com/product_info.php?cPath=161_25&products_id=933)

Brian - this is a good interface to use as it provides lots of
functionality at a great price (relatively ;-)  It's not a lot more than a
standalone interface and paradoxically lower cost than the standalone
Ethernet interface it includes. It also has a router, web server and C-Bus
logic engine inbuilt.  Although you may not initially use all the
functionality if you do explore further options your covered for most time
scheduling / logic and web interface needs.

I think the key aspect re 6 key input units is their role.  If they are
controlling lots of different lighting circuits then they are confusing to
the more casual users. If you really are using them as scene switches
within one area then maybe not - but you still might find a DLT better -
with some independent switching on the main bank and some scenes on the
secondary bank , or all scenes.

I would recommend you see DLT's in action, and also a C-Bus installation if
possible - whereabouts are you located ? there's loads of people here who
would be happy to show you their system.

On 30/10/2010 22:11, Brian Smith wrote:

> Where you have a 2 or
> 4 button, is that because you only need that number of scenes or
because you
> have additional means of control via a PC or other CBUS logic?

Yes - guilty as charged - I use a lot of external smarts alongside my
C-Bus to automate my home, especially as I integrate so many other
devices.   Within C-Bus  I've found things like timers, room occupancy
sensing, alarm interlinking, auto on at dusk / poor light conditions,
'goodnight' to turn everything off are my mainstays.      Rather like
Ben I had lots of scenes programmed but in practice I found only a
couple were really ever used ..  . The 'smooch' one in the living room
hasn't been used in ages it seems... what a  waste of a button ;-)

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums