Re: Fw: How would YOU approach this HA task?

I would, if possible try and maintain the existing timer in a
programmed
state and then switch it out by a plain old light switch arrangement
near the boiler.   Only because if the automation did ever fail for
whatever reason , and you weren't there,  then the family can just flick
the switch and it's all working again without having to set up the times
and including an advance /  24/7 override which I'm sure the timer will
have -  and employing the original thermostat.

Very interested to know how you get on with the C-Bus thermostats, I
keep meaning to have a play but I too find it quite a confusing option
range , especially as you introduce areas/zones.   Also quite
expensive.    Does anyone know.. if you get a unit with inbuilt relays
can you abandon these and use external C-Bus relays instead ?  I know
the internal relays are only controllable by the thermostat itself , and
not via C-Bus.

I've also seen a post where the C-Bus techies are very adamant you must
never externally override/control a relay that is assigned to a
thermostat -  which is I suppose something that I might have
intended...  but I suppose you get around this by controlling the
thermostat time override via C-Bus instead...

If you are using Comfort you might have to move the thermostats onto a
lighting application rather than the heating one, which I don't think is
detrimental feature wise,  it just reduces the application isolation.
Wiser though handles the heating app directly.

On 29/10/2010 10:16, Paul Gordon wrote:
> I think I'm leaning towards this as the simplest option...
>
> Leave the existing controls as they are, - for the timeclock I'll
> "de-program" any on times so that this never calls for heat.
I'll also turn
> the existing wireless stat right down, so that also never calls for
heat...
> (although since it's in series with the timeclock that shouldn't
actually
> matter).
>
> Put a CBUS relay across the boiler's heat demand terminals (now
handily
> available outside the casing)
>
> Use a CBUS room stat to set the temperature (one of the relay-free
models)

> Therefore the existing controls are always available to be used if
required
> (just turn them up), but won't under normal circumstances
"interfere" with
> or "override" what the HA system want to set..
>
> "standard" end-user operation is maintained by setting a
knob on a
> "standard" looking room thermostat (WAF)
>
> Full control is available via any CBUS units, and therefore by
Comfort, -
> either of which I can use to set my heating schedule - I'll probably
go for
> using Comfort to do this, since it has easily accessible scheduling
options
> for weekday/weekend operation, knows about sunset/sunrise times, knows
when
> all the UK public holidays are, and knows the occupancy status of the
> house...
>
> The temperature measured by the CBUS roomstat is available as a
datapoint
> for use in any other logic operations I might want to contrive, also
thus
> available to be displayed on WISER based touchsreens etc. (not sure
yet if I
> can also get that variable through to Homeseer for use there...)
>
> Temperature setpoint can also be set remotely in addition to manually
> adjusting the roomstat knob... so Wiser touchscreens can also be used
as
> remote temp controllers as well as simple on/off..
>
> Easy-peasy!
>
> Paul G.

Corgi/Gas-Safe
>> registered engineer is supposed to open the boiler. Of course
Part-P
>> probably applies to the wiring too :(
> Another approach would be to use a room stat that has infra red
capability,
> eg heatmiser:
>
> <http://www.heatmisershop.co.uk/products/Programmable-Thermostat-%252d-Heatm
> iser-PRT.html>
>

> and use infra red to control the heating from Comfort (or similar).
You