From: ukha_d@xxxxxxx [mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
leewild80
Sent: Wednesday, 27 October 2010 3:07 AM
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: [ukha_d] Re: Tell me about 1-wire...

=20=20

Simon & Ben - many thanks, that's great info.

I hadn't thought about looping back via spare pairs of the cat5 - sounds
obvious when you mention it !

Lots to digest & things to read.

Thanks again
Lee

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx <mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>
, Simon
Haslam <simon_haslam@...> wrote:

> Lee
>=20
> I'm working on a similar thing - primarily using 1-wire for monitoring
an=
managing my central heating.
>=20
> I spoke to HomeChip and they convinced me that it was better to go for
th=
LinkUSB 1-wire controller
(http://www.homechip.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=3D22
<http://www.homechip.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=3D22&products_id=3D=
158>
&products_id=3D158) as it's supposed to be more reliable due to the way
ser=
ial
to USB is implemented, plus some network reliability enhancements. The
HomeChip chap was very helpful so I've no reason to think this was just a
=C2=A310 up-sell. I've been using that for about a month without problems
-=
it
was recognised fine by Ubuntu linux. At the moment I'm using Digitemp to
read the sensors and RRDtool to graph them, though intend to move to owfs.
>=20
> I'm using Clipsal pink CAT5 cable for my 1-wire network and will
probably
use RJ45 plugs (rather than RJ11/12) as they seem to be more common even
though they are bulkier. From the start I have used the 5V supply from the
LinkUSB too, rather than relying on parasitic power. I did increase the
pol=
time (up to 1.2s I think) which reduced the number of failed readings.
>=20
> Last week I've just received an I/O board
(http://www.hobby-boards.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=3D1554)
which I'm planning to use to control 24V actuators on a 7 port manifold
connected to the radiators.
>=20
> I immediately found the solar cylinder temperature measurements very
useful - in fact I've just re-plumbed the outlets to try to reduce
thermo-syphoning and standing heat losses.
>=20
> You say you've got 3 networks due to the natural layout. Though not
recommended, a star topology may work if there aren't too many devices, I
don't know. Otherwise have you considered running the data/ground
"back"
through a spare pair so that you don't need a hub? Then your network
become=
one long one that goes "up and down" 3 legs (if you see what I
mean!). That
would save the hub and so should reduce complexity. There's also a paper on
Maxim's site about designing long 1-wire networks, which I take to also
mea=
what to do to get shorter networks to run most reliably.
>=20
> Good luck!
>=20
>=20
> Simon
>=20
bu=
never managed to wire it all up!!
>=20
>=20
>=20
> http://www.klein.com/thermd/ - Guy
doing similar to you and using linux
backend
>=20
>=20
>=20
> I use the HA7NET for the hub.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> If you also search for my mails I asked similar questions about 1-2
years
ago
,
"leewild80" <muddyboots@> wrote:
>=20
> >
>=20
> > Afternoon all
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> > Am trying to read up about the use of 1-wire networks &
sensors for
temperature monitoring.
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> > Tried to search this list, but as someone has the text
"1-wire" embedde=
at the end of all their posts, I couldn't see wood for't trees... :)
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> > I'd quite like to monitor temps in several places, for example:
>=20
> > 1) At various points on my thermal store & associated
pipework
>=20
> > 2) On my UFH manifold, eg F&R temps to the manifold itself
and also to
each zone
>=20
> > 3) Same as 2) but on the manifold I'll soon be installing to run
all my
rads off.
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> > Each of the above are in quite separate locations in the house,
so I
forsee having 3 separate networks, one to each area, running back to a PC.
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> > I have a Linux PC that's running most of the time for file
storage and
intend to use OWFS to get the data back from the sensors. It has USB ports
but no older style serial port.
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> > I guess what I'm wanting to know is:
>=20
> > 1) How can I cater for the 3 separate networks ? I have read
about
1-wire hubs but haven't yet seen where I could buy these from. I guess I
can't just "star" 3 long legs together, or can I ?
>=20
> > 2) I presume I can use Cat5 UTP to run the networks, and hang the
sensors off this ? Route the cat5 around all the sensor locations and
attac=
them to it via short tails ?
>=20
> > 3) Would I need to provide additional power to the networks to
power th=
sensors, or is there some kind of hub device that will do this for me ?
>=20
> > 4) Will the DS9490R USB interface from Homechip be all I need to
hook u=
to my PC and be useable with OWFS ?
>=20
> > (http://www.homechip.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=3D22
<http://www.homechip.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=3D22&products_id=3D=
30>
&products_id=3D30)
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> > If there's a handy guide that tells me all of this, feel free to
point
me at it !
>=20
> >=20