Re: Re: Tell me about 1-wire...

  • Subject: Re: Re: Tell me about 1-wire...
  • From: Simon Haslam <simon_haslam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 16:41:04 +0100 (BST)

Lee

I'm working on a similar thing - primarily using 1-wire for monitoring and
=
managing my central heating.

I spoke to HomeChip and they convinced me that it was better to go for the
=
LinkUSB 1-wire controller (http://www.homechip.com/catalog/product_info.php=
?cPath=3D22&products_id=3D158) as it's supposed to be more reliable due
to =
the way serial to USB is implemented, plus some network reliability
enhance=
ments. The HomeChip chap was very helpful so I've no reason to think this
w=
as just a =C2=A310 up-sell. I've been using that for about a month without
=
problems - it was recognised fine by Ubuntu linux. At the moment I'm using
=
Digitemp to read the sensors and RRDtool to graph them, though intend to
mo=
ve to owfs.

I'm using Clipsal pink CAT5 cable for my 1-wire network and will probably
u=
se RJ45 plugs (rather than RJ11/12) as they seem to be more common even
tho=
ugh they are bulkier. From the start I have used the 5V supply from the
Lin=
kUSB too, rather than relying on parasitic power. I did increase the poll
t=
ime (up to 1.2s I think) which reduced the number of failed readings.

Last week I've just received an I/O board (http://www.hobby-boards.com/cata=
log/product_info.php?products_id=3D1554) which I'm planning to use to
contr=
ol 24V actuators on a 7 port manifold connected to the radiators.

I immediately found the solar cylinder temperature measurements very
useful=
- in fact I've just re-plumbed the outlets to try to reduce thermo-syphoni=
ng and standing heat losses.

You say you've got 3 networks due to the natural layout. Though not
recomme=
nded, a star topology may work if there aren't too many devices, I don't
kn=
ow. Otherwise have you considered running the data/ground "back"
through a =
spare pair so that you don't need a hub? Then your network becomes one
long=
one that goes "up and down" 3 legs (if you see what I mean!).
That would s=
ave the hub and so should reduce complexity. There's also a paper on
Maxim'=
s site about designing long 1-wire networks, which I take to also mean
what=
to do to get shorter networks to run most reliably.

Good luck!

Simon

--- On Tue, 26/10/10, ben_mccormack2000 <yahoogroup@xxxxxxx> wr=
ote: