RE: Reset Windows password - help please!

Have you tried taking ownership of the files? Right click the folders,
and under Security (depending on OS) you should find somewhere to take
ownership. This should override the file permissions.

From: ukha_d@xxxxxxx [mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Tim Hawes
Sent: 26 October 2010 08:36
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: [ukha_d] Reset Windows password - help please!

Perhaps not the usual password-reset problem...

I've got a friend with a dead laptop (suspected mobo fault) but with a
working HDD. Connecting the HDD to another PC via a USB HDD adaptor she
can
see files in the common user area but not those in her user area which
has a
user ID & password.

She knows the user password it's just that the laptop wont boot, so
firing
it up and resetting it, or booting it from CD with a freeware utility to
reset it are out of the question.
We/she has no spare similar laptop to put the HDD into to boot up and
remove the password.

How can we/she access her user files - the adaptor doesn't prompt for a
password etc. and hovering over the folder says its "empty" (it's
not).

There must be a way, and I'm struggling with the right terms to google
with.
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Tim.