[OT] embeddable web calendar recommendations

  • Subject: [OT] embeddable web calendar recommendations
  • From: Paul Gordon <paul_gordon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 16:51:02 +0100

Peeps, sorry this is waaaaaay OT, but I know there are a few fairly
competent webby types here who might be able to help.

In my capacity of attempting to knock up a website for our local residents
association, I've been looking into various ways to get a nice looking and
functional calendar on the site.

I've examined several calendar services that I can embed with no problems,
-
the issue really is more of the actual behaviour of the calendar services
themselves.

For instance, Google calendar works *almost* perfectly, except for the fact
that if a calendar event has a "where" configured (i.e. anything
at all is
entered into the where field in the event properties), it absolutely
insists
on putting a Google map link on the event too. - there is no way to prevent
this behaviour, and because the entirety of the text entered in the where
field is used as the search term for locating the map, it invariably
results
in a map link that is utterly wrong.

Next up, Windows Live has a calendar as well. similar problem, most of it
is
near perfect, *but* the event properties always get an additional
"more
details" hyperlink tacked onto the bottom, which when clicked, opens
the
windows live calendar on the Windows Live site, - thus taking users *away*
from our site, which is not what I want at all - why then bother to embed
the bl00dy thing in our own site in the first place!?!?

I've checked out several other lesser known ones that I've come across from
Google searches, and thus far, all the ones I've found have some little
foible or other that renders it effectively useless for our purposes.

These are all free services of course, (UKHA price!) - this is obviously
preferred, but we could stretch to a very modest paid-for service, but it
is
just a local not-for-profit organisation, so funds are somewhat limited.

So, what I'm looking for is a recommendation for a calendar that:

can be embedded in one of our site's pages,

which looks fairly nice (much like Google or Windows Live calendars),

which users can see published events as clickable links on the calendar;-

which, when clicked, pops up a details pane, in which *I* can control what
links it contains

Anyone got any suggestions?

The site is based on Office Live, but I've had no problem thus far
embedding
via HTML iFrame code snippets.

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums