From: "Paul Gale" <groups2@xxxxxxx>
To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, October 04, 2010 10:23 PM
Subject: RE: [ukha_d] Openfiler - anyone used it?

Hi Martyn,

I've now setup an openfiler box and have two ESXi servers talking to it
over
iSCSI - works pretty well. Performance was pants to start with but that was
mostly due to my exchange server and a load of other stuff originally
running on one box with only 8GB ram - having two boxes running seems to
have sorted that but it's early days.

I took your advice and got a nice GS724 and a couple of cheap PCI-X nics -
the iSCSI is running on it's own over the new switch and maxing out the
single (so far) 1Gb connection with larger transfers. I even got my 3Ware
9590se card working but it only has slower SATA drives, so I think that's a
bit of a bottleneck - if only I could afford a load of fast SAS drives!

The one question I have for you - I've read a lot on bonding but still not
sure about how best to implement it - how did you setup yours? Not so much
the OF side, as that (appears) to be OK, although there are many blogs and
posts talking about modifying config files! I'm more thinking about the
ESXi
side (ESXi 4.1) and whether you had to do any config on your switch?

Many thanks,

Paul.