*From:* ukha_d@xxxxxxx [mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx] *On Behalf O=
*Philip Coombes
*Sent:* 11 October 2010 10:21
*To:* ukha_d@xxxxxxx
*Cc:* Jim Noble
*Subject:* Re: [ukha_d] [OT] Mystery Buried Cables

I have had a further inspection this morning and the cables are
definitely black and have no markings on them that I can see. I have run
a domestic type metal detector over them and a wire/current detector
neither of which seem to register anything. Also the metal detector on
my phone doesn't register either! All show up when run over the regular
armoured cable I have laid.

I have also googled like mad this morning and neither the HSE
underground services booklet
(http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/priced/hsg47.pdf)
and the NJUG
guidelines(http://www.njug.org.uk/publication/114/)
appear to firmly
suggest what they might be. There are no tiles above the cables (if
there had been they would have been above ground!) or tapes etc.

I am increasingly of the opinion that they are just offcuts that have
been dumped but still stuck as to how I positively prove or disprove
that assertion.

Phil