[OT] Mystery Buried Cables

  Hi everyone, hope you all had a good weekend!

I spent my Sunday digging a hole for a pond but have been somewhat
stymied by coming across a couple of buried cables or pipe. They are
about an inch or so across (maybe 2.75cm) and pretty stiff. I have
uploaded a picture at http://flic.kr/p/8HWk5q

So my question is, what are these likely to be? I am having trouble
thinking that utility cables would be buried only 2 inches deep under
turf, we had a mini JSB here doing a patio in a different part of the
garden in Summer and that would have ripped them to shreds (which it did
do to our Sky cable). However I can't be 100% sure. I have tried putting
a clamp meter on them and that didn't come back with anything, not that
I have a huge amount of confidence in the meter. The house if about 25
years old and we keep finding bricks and various other artefacts from
the original construction whenever we dig in the garden so I am half
wondering if they might be old cables used in the builders yard, one of
them appears to just loop back round in the direction it came from.

Needless to say they are a PITA as the pond will not sit in the hole
with them there. They are too stiff to reroute so I would like to cut
them out but until I know what they might be obviously that is a risky
option.

If anyone has any ideas of what they are, or how to check or find out I
would be very grateful.

Cheers

Phil

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums