Re: [OT] iPad query...

  • Subject: Re: [OT] iPad query...
  • From: "domdevitto" <dom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 17:15:58 -0000

So the solution is simple - get yourself a new Mac.
Or get a motherboard (or hub) that supports the latest USB standard.

Building a hub/amp that such a thing sounds like a great business
opportunity.

Dom

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Phillip Harris <phil@...> wrote:

> On 10 Oct 2010, at 16:42, Gareth Cook wrote:
>
> > When connected to your PC/MAC via USB, it does start trickle
charging when
> > the screen blanks
> >
> > Unless stated otherwise above:
> > IBM United Kingdom Limited - Registered in England and Wales with
number
> > 741598.
> > Registered office: PO Box 41, North Harbour, Portsmouth,
Hampshire PO6 3AU

> Yes - supposedly - however that assumes two things...
>
> 1) You leave your PC on permanently.
> 2) The reports on the internet are correct.
>
> Unfortunately practical experience appears to contradict the internet
masses - if I plug the iPad into my PC and sync it then leave it (leaving
the PC on) it steadily *DISCHARGES* just as it does if it isn't connected.
It does this when connected to my Naim DAC via USB (however an iPhone
charges from the DAC).

> The generally held belief is that the USB ports on Macs charge the
iPad because they're simply capable of supplying higher power than normal
ports but if that were the case (i.e. it's a hardware only difference) then
if I plug my iPad into the same USB port on my 17" MBP then it should
charge no matter whether I'm running OSX or Windows (via Bootcamp) but that
isn't the case - the same port that charges the iPad under OSX gives a
"Not Charging" message under Windows (via Bootcamp).

> Phil

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums