Re: In ceiling speaker suggestions

  • Subject: Re: In ceiling speaker suggestions
  • From: "ianh1000" <ianh1000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2010 20:41:16 -0000

Thanks Peter, I appreciate the info.=20

Speakers at either end is a good idea but the joists go from side to side
s=
o getting the cables in could be a challenge there is a bathroom above and
=
I recently tiled the floor!

I was looking at some 10" Sonance speakers on Ebay but they went for a
litt=
le more than I was expecting.

I think I will need to use rockwool four sound damping as the sound
travels=
very well around our house. My office is above a wall mounted TV and I can=
hear it as clearly in my room as you can downstairs! (They don't make hous=
es like they used to).

Regards
Ian=20

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "White, Peter" <peter.white@...>
wrote:

> Depending on how much effort (read: expense) you want to put into the
cei=
ling speakers, I think =A3300 will be plenty.  In different houses I've
ins=
talled Sonace (13 pairs of them!), Kef and Yamaha, the former being, in
the=
ory, the more expensive/better brands, but it reality it's so difficult to
=
tell them apart.  Audiophiles will no doubt disagree, but my view is that
t=
here's so many other factors that influence the audio ability of ceiling
sp=
eakers, it's not worth spending a ton of money on them.
>=20
> I'm currently using Yamaha 8" speakers, link below (sorry, it's
from the =
US site, I'm a bit out of touch on where to look in the UK).  These are
ins=
talled in a new American house (ie. appalling internal sound insulation),
s=
o I'm in the process of stuffing Rockwool behind each of the speakers to
pr=
event sound leaking into the bedrooms above.  Aside from that, they're
perf=
orming well (linked to ZP100's).
>=20
> http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-NS-IW480CWH--Ceiling-Speaker-System/dp/B000O=
3TFWW/ref=3Dsr_1_2?s=3Delectronics&ie=3DUTF8&qid=3D1286222474&sr=3D1-2
>=20
> I have 2 installed in a room that's about 30' x 15', but nearer one
end t=
han the other, and I intend to install another pair at the opposite end.
M=
y preference with distributed audio is that the sound should always be at
a=
similar level as you walk through the house, rather than having 1 or 2 sou=
nd sourced turned up loud to cover the same space.  So eventually I'll get
=
speakers in every room again, but for now I think a pair of good 8"
speaker=
s will do the job for you.  If you have the choice, I would consider
puttin=
g 2 pairs in your kitchen/diner, but dual-wire them back to a single
ZP120.=
..it just makes the sound source more subtle.  Failing that, at least run
t=
he cables for adding a pair in the future.  Note, that I mostly have the
ra=
dio or various other streaming sources playing, so the music source is not
=
the highest quality possible, but if you intend to play something more
pure=
, you might want some higher-end speakers.  The Yamaha's tend to be a
littl=
e thin in the mid-range, but do a good job at the higher-end and on the
bas=
s.  Of course, the cable you use will make a difference too....I think I
ju=
st got some 79-strand OFC from CPC, which did just fine.  The locking
clamp=
s on the speakers are a tad fragile, so never use a power tool to tighten
t=
hem up, no matter how tired your arm is getting (I speak from experience).
=
Also, always drill a small pilot hole first, then poke a coat hanger throu=
gh there and spin it around, just to make sure you have space for the
speak=
er before carving out the big hole.  Again, I speak from experience, in
the=
sense of learning from your mistakes :)
>=20
> Pete
>=20
ro=
om. I think the room is roughly 25' x 11'. I would probably have them
about=
a 1/3rd of the way down the room. I plan to use a Sonos ZP120 to drive the=
m.
>=20
> There seems to be a huge range availible, unlike normal speakers it is
ve=
ry hard to hear a demo to give me an idea of how much I should spend. Am I
=
going to get a good pair for =A3300 or do I need to spend more ?
>=20
> Also any suggestions on placement would be great, it is easy to move
norm=
al speakers about to get the best sound but you only get 1 crack at
cutting=
2 large holes in the ceiling.
>=20
> Thanks
> Ian
>=20
>=20
> ________________________________
> This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Company proprietary
in=
formation, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to copyright
belon=
ging to the Company. This E-mail is intended solely for the use of the
indi=
vidual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended
reci=
pient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
distr=
ibution, copying, or action taken in relation to the contents of and
attach=
ments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
hav=
e received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and
p=
ermanently delete the original and any copy of this E-mail and any
printout=
.
>=20
>=20