Re: BT HomeHub Networking Woes

  On 29/09/2010 09:37, Geoff Hargreaves wrote:

> I went with 02 a while back and decided to 'be a standard customer'
> and use their box to make the ADSL connection. I wasn't too keen on
the
> UI as you have to go hunting around to configure it. The subnet it
> defaults to was different to my home network that I had already
> configured, and whilst I could change that easily enough, if it were
> reset then the settings would be lost.
>
> I decided then to use a wireless router (sometimes labelled cable
> router) for the home network and then simply connect this to the 02
ADSL
> router for internet traffic.
>
> I know its an extra layer of hardware that isn't strictly necessary,
but
> at least it separates the home network structure from internet
traffic.
> It also allows me to run two wireless networks, the home network using
> WPA2 and the 02 box running WEP for legacy equipment that needs
> connecting occasionally.
>
> Geoff

Extra layers of hardware that aren't strictly necessary is the reason
this group was created.

I've recently gone the separates route. I've retired a Vigor 2600G from
ADSL modem, wireless and router duties to purely a WAP. It's now been
superseded by a Vigor 120 modem, an Alix system with a pfSense firewall
and a 24 port switch.

Based on anecdotal testing I have rigorously performed ;-) the download
speed has almost doubled, from about 400 to 800 KB/s.

I've just got to get the OpenVPN configured and that part of my system
upgrade will be complete.

Regards
Simon

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums