Re: Re: best digital programmable room thermostat?

Hi all,

Many thanks for the feedback so far.

I've had a look through everyone's suggestions, and the closest to my
requirements would look to be the heatmiser range - specifically the 12v
Network Touchscreen Programmable Room Thermostat - Heatmiser PRT-NTS and
the powered relay card - total delivered price about £96. (or £86
from
http://www.totalfloorheating.com/
which is the cheapest I've found so far)

The UI looks bearable and it has an RS-485 port that provides the
potential for remote control for a HA system.

Having look at the forum link Mark provided I am slightly tempted to go
with the "HouseHeat" system, though if I've understood the total
cost is
likely to significantly higher (from conrad, £129 for the PC
interface,
85 for the boiler controller and 30 + 30 per room for thermostat +
actuator) - so a minimum of £400 if I only do the "main" 3
rooms or £750
if I do all 9 radiators; on balance I think I'm not convinced this is
worth the complexity and cost!

Cheers,

Joseph

On 23/11/2010 20:40, noel wrote:
> Has to be heatmiser absolutely brilliant Uk based, support is
technically very competent and responsive
> Boost isn't perfect you have to press H then up arrow to choose 30 or
60 mins etc then H again and up arrow to set temperature then on button
> This at least is proper boost for a set time interval unlike the
option below which may be far too long.

> Let me know if you have any questions
> Noel
> --- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Dean Smith<dean@...>  wrote:
>> I have this one (Horstman HRFS1)
>>
>> http://www.screwfix.com/prods/93829/Plumbing/Central-Heating-Controls/Horstmann-HRFS1-Room-Thermostat
>>
>> Its a 5+2 (or7) with about 6 time bands through the day for each.
>> Because of the number of time periods it can take a while to
change...as
>> you have to amend each one. Not difficult though. Its typical
electronic
>> timer setting sort of thing.
>>
>> For boost - you simply hit the up/down arrows a couple of time to
get
>> the new temp (0.5 deg increments) and press set. It holds that
until the
>> next programmed timeperiod kicks in and sets its own temperature.
>>
>> It is RF so the programmer/thermostat itself sits on the side in
our
>> Hallway.....the base unit is in the normal place in the airing
cupboard.
>> No great re-wiring needed which was a plus for me. The programmer
unit
>> is arguably a little bigger than it needs to be and I wouldnt
really
>> want it on the wall. We have it free standing tucked behind a
picture
>> frame though.
>>
>> No external interface though
>>
>> For the price....it fitted my needs very well,.
>>
>> Dean
>>

>> On 22/11/2010 11:32, Joseph Heenan wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I'm not sure if this a bit too "low end" to be on
topic here, but I've
>>> had quite a search around and haven't found much in the way of
reviews
>>> etc out there:
>>>
>>> My combi boiler's thermostat is starting to play up, so I want
>>> replace it with something better (but don't want to go as far
as zoning
>>> off rooms etc!).
>>>
>>> So what I'm looking for:
>>>
>>> - a programmable digital thermostat (preferably 5 + 2 days I
guess)

>>> - available in the UK
>>>
>>> - a /good/ userfriendly UI (ie. changing a setting should
neither
>>> require recourse to the manual or leave me feeling I want to
beat the
>>> thing to a pulp)
>>>
>>> - a simple to use "boost" type button for the wife
when she's feeling
>>> chilly
>>>
>>> - some kind of external home automation type interface might
be nice too
>>> (ethernet, rs232, whatever) but I don't view this as a
"must have"

>>> - I'm not really bothered about it being wireless/RF
>>>
>>> - under the £100 mark unless it's /really/ nice :-)
>>>
>>> The current thermostat (a fairly standard drayton) has 3 wires
going to
>>> it, which I believe means I shouldn't have any problem fitting
>>> replacement without needing extra wiring.
>>>
>>> Here's a few I've come across in my search:
>>>
>>> http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/glowarm-rt500rf-wireless-1932-17047
>>>
>>> http://www.heatingcontrolsonline.co.uk/siemens-rev24-hardwired-programmable-thermostat-p-541.html
>>>
>>> http://www.heatmisershop.co.uk/products/Programmable-Thermostat-%252d-Heatmiser-PRT.html
>>>
>>> http://www.draytoncontrols.co.uk/Digistat3ProgrammableRoomThermostats.aspx
>>>
>>> They tick most of the buttons, but I've found little in the
way of
>>> reviews over how good the user interface is.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts / past experience anyone can share would be very
welcome!

>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Joseph

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums