Re: How to Join Alarm Cables

  • Subject: Re: How to Join Alarm Cables
  • From: "semi.jons" <semi.jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2010 17:41:51 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Richard Challis <richard@...> wrote:

> On 4 November 2010 10:39, JonS <semi.jon@...> wrote:
> > I want to create a distribution box ...
>>... some are solid other stranded of varying diameters as I
> > have a mix of alarm and Cat5e cable to join. Some are carrying
power (12V)
> > others signal.
>
> You may want to look at the dear old chokky block, as IDC can be a bit
> funny with regard to different cable insulation and core size. You may
> have issues with bad connections later on. Alternatively look at DIN
> rail and DIN connectors. You can put together impressively sized
> common blocks etc.
> <snip>
> I've used these 24 way ones in the past.
>
> http://www.knightplastics.com/view_item.asp?id=73

Found this which I think is similar http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380086276016&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
which sound similar and cheap enough to expand as required.  Have to say
the picture isn't much good, could be an empty patress box!

Looks like a choice between these and a populated one of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160415105705&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Which may be a bit quicker to install

Thanks
JonS