Re: Re: Tell me about 1-wire...

Hi Guys,

1-wire is pretty robust. On thing I would say is that unless you've got a
reason, go for 5V powered sensors, I've not had any problems with missed
readings doing this.

Not sure what plans you have for software for reading your 1-wire nets ?

Cheers

Stuart

On 2 Nov 2010, at 20:38, Simon Haslam wrote:

> I've been pondering this too. I think you'd mainly use them at
physically separate locations in the 1-wire network - where you've got
several sensors close together it might be overkill (especially given that
the sensor chips are so cheap). I've bought some of those 1-wire metal
probes which fit nicely in the pockets in my solar cylinder, and will have
some flow/return etc sensors strapped to pipes - at the moment they're just
pushed into breadboard but I think I'll shorten the leads as much as
possible and then join them all back to a small junction box, which itself
may have 2 RJ45 sockets on it (perhaps using one of Stuart's boards).

> One concern is creating stars on the network (which wouldn't be the
case if each sensor was mounted on a twin RJ45 PCB) - hopefully it won't
matter where the sensor leads are only ~50cm long. For longer leads (e.g. I
have one to a DS18B20 I'm planning to install next to the weather
compensation thermistor for the boiler) I'm planning to run Cat 5 with DQ
"up" to the sensor on blue and "back" on orange (and
likewise blue/white and oracle/white for GND) - I've still not decided how
to terminate that though.

> This is mostly guesswork for me ;-)
>
> Simon

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums