Re: Plex 9 Video

  • Subject: Re: Plex 9 Video
  • From: "mwgardner2000" <groups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 20:20:12 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Mark McCall <lists@...> wrote:

> > The problem was (and I can't see it being any different in P9)
the accuracy of data on  the web.

> There are fundamental differences between XBMC's old fashioned
> 'scraping' and the new multi-stage process carried out by
> Alexandria......more about this later.

That will be interesting to read about...

> > but should fess up that I am an ex-user of Plex,
>
> Ah, the bitter ex-smoker type, it all becomes clear :)

Not bitter at all... :-) I made a choice, and so far am very happy with it!

> >  having gone back to XBMC which IMHO is more reliable, performs
better

> Not in my experience.  Plex is now using Apples APIs for hardware
> accelerated GPU HD playback.  Although I never had an issue on Blu-ray
> rips without this (modern core 2 duo mini and wired gigabit Ethernet).

I also had a modern core 2 duo mini, with wired gigabit ethernet (bought
after your eloquent pitch for mac after you invested yourself :-)). There
were some BD rips that would not play at all. And some with extreme
stuttering. Without change they play fine now in XBMC/Live on an ION
nettop. Planet Earth Bird Scene is a classic - BD plays with 0 dropped
frames now, and was unwatchable previously on Plex. HW accelerated GPU HD
playback was too late for me unfortunately.

> Other little touches like theme music as you enter your TV show
> folders add to Plex too.
Never worked for me! Ho hum. In fact TV scraping never worked either.

> The way music is handled on P9 is fab as
> well.

Zero interest for me as a seasoned SONOS owner. :-)

> > and runs on a platform I understand!
>
> Ah, bitter anti-Mac type too :)

Not bitter about this either - its just that me and Mac didn't get along
:-) Too little time to learn another OS.... 6 OS (ok, most of the from
Redmond) in the house is enough for me!

> > I very much like the idea of the common library in P9 - that
sounds very cool.
> > But its achievable in XBMC (as it was in Plex 8), albeit less
glamourously.

> Yes, as you say a basic central library is doable on XBMC, but SQL
> stuff etc hardly ready for prime-time.  And even with it implemented
> you still have the basic library, nothing like as sweet or
> sophisticated as P9

As I said, common easy to manage library is cool - I just don't understand
why it has to be outside the 10ft interface :-) I'd have like to be able to
do all management / maintenance from the sofa. I guess none of these are
the 'appliance' I'd really like them to be. Yet.

> But hey, different strokes and all that.  I agree the price
> differential is a major minus point for Plex.  It needs a cheaper
> hardware platform.  And because of this I use a mix of Plex/XBMC on
> NetTops, XBoxes and Macs.   Plex is still my fav though, and its the
> one that runs on the main AV System.

As you say different strokes....

Just as an aside, and another reason I switched, is that I was unable to
get Mac OS to look good on my plasma. Plex looked great, but as soon as I
came out of it Mac OS was next to un-useable. I tried all the tips / tricks
/ tools I could find on the web to no avail. Probably down to my lack of
Mac knowledge, but that was the problem... :-)

> M.

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums