Re: Keeping node0 cool...

The kit isn't in a rack it's on a pair of fitted shelves. The
temperature at
ground level (where the door been trimmed to left air enter freely) is
normally around 15'C, but near the ceiling (inside the cupboard) it's over
35'C, the server was reporting the HDD was over 50'C with the mobo not far
behind. The shelves have an inch+ gap away from the back wall, and
8-10" gap
from the door, so there should be enough space for air movement (or so I
thought).
On Martyns recommendation I've bid on a 4" fan off Ebay, I just hope
it's
not too noisey... swmbo would not be pleased...

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 10:10 PM, Andy Davies <dajdavies@xxxxxxx>
wrote:

> If the kit is in a rack, I'd make sure it's got sides and a door and
then
> stick a fan tray in the top to draw the air from the bottom to the
top,
> then
> you'll need a way to get rid of the excess hot air out of the top -
some
> racks can have chimneys to help with this.
>
> Other thing to consider is what's the temperature of the air coming in
-
> the
> higher that is the less cooling effect it provides
>
> Cheers
>
> Andy

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums