Re: A cautionary tale

After reading this thread I was looking for something on the
WeGotServed we=
bsite and came across the ASUS Web storage add-in for WHS

http://www.wegotserved.com/2010/05/04/add-in-asus-webstorage/

Looks very interesting, you can try 1GB for free, sign-up for a year at
=A3=
29.29 and get unlimited storage (it even looks to be unlimited you get 1TB
=
and they add more as you use it)

Paul

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Richard \(lists account\)"
<rich_lists@...>=
wrote:

> I use windows live mesh, each hotmail address gets some gigs, and
hotmail
> addresses are free.
>=20
>=20=20
>=20
> You can invite other users to your mesh, so you can invite one account
> them all, log in as that and sync everthing so long as each folder is
bel=
ow
> the limit.
>=20
>=20=20
>=20
>=20=20
>=20
>=20=20
>=20
intervention from
> myself, so I Still have some work to do. I have also been meaning to
sort
> out some cloud backup for the most valuable stuff, which in common
with
> everyone else's comments is the 4-5GB of digital photos going back
decade=
> (including scanned copies of all the pre-digital era paper photos that
> normally live in a shoebox at the back of the wardrobe)...
>=20
> My main media server has 4 x 1TB drives in it - NOT in a RAID array -
too
> many experiences of RAID problems in the past to go down that road
again =
-
> so just configured as 4 separate 1TB volumes. The drives are in a
5-in-3
> drive cage, so there is a spare slot for an additional 5th drive. As
each
> 1TB drive is filled, I take a brand new 1TB drive off the shelf, put
it i=
> that 5th slot, backup the full drive to it, then remove it & put
it in th=
> safe. I have a vulnerability of any drive that is partially full,
since I
> only bother to mirror it when it's full, - but since this is DVD rips,
> don't class that data as especially precious, any one of those 1TB
drives
> could be reproduced from scratch from the original media if necessary.
>=20
> Photos are treated a bit differently, the "master" copy is
held on the
> aforementioned media server, in a folder which is shared, and to which
al=
> client PCs in the house map a drive letter to. Each PC is then
configured=
> cache a local copy of the photos share using Windows' own "make
available
> offline" feature, so there are about a half-dozen other
synchronised copi=
es
> on other PCs (all in the same house) of course. Also, I back the
master
> folder up across the network once a week to another server, also still
in
> the same house though. My glaring omission is therefore an offline
copy o=
> the photos folder, which is where the cloud comes in...
>=20
> Trouble is, - which to choose? - I tried Windows Live Skydrive, but I
did=
n't
> like it because it's a nightmare to deal with folders (folders have to
be
> created manually first, and then the contents can be synchronised into
th=
em,
> but you can't automatically just synchronise a whole folder
structure).
>=20
> So, who uses what cloud storage service? - do you use the free service
or=
do
> you pay? How easy/reliable do you find it in use?=20
>=20
> I'd like to get this last part of the piece sorted out fairly soon, as
I'=
ve
> been meaning to get a "Round Tuit" for blooming ages! So all
recommendati=
ons
> gratefully received.
>=20
> Paul G.
>=20
] On
> > Behalf Of Mark McCall
> > Sent: 09 May 2010 11:56
> > To: ukha_d
> > Subject: Re: [ukha_d] A cautionary tale
> >=20
> > On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 10:11 AM, Tim <tim@...
> <mailto:tim%40timfletcher.com>
> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > I came downstairs yesterday to the smell of cooking - not
bacon, but =
the
> > PSU in my main office PC.  Antec silent PSU
> >=20
> > I feel your pain Tim :(
> >=20
> > WHS folder duplication, like Drobo or RAID isn't a backup.
> >=20
> > I'm using an external USB drive and SyncBack to backup all the
> > important data and the video that fits. But USB drives aren't
going
> > to save you from lightning, theft, fire, flood etc.
> >=20
> > So I'm also sending around 30GB (Docs, digital photos etc) to
> > JungleDisk.com - this took weeks to get up to the cloud (running
at
> > weekends only), but now is only minutes a day to keep updated.
> >=20
> > M.
> >=20
> >=20