Re: A cautionary tale

 >I'm using an external USB drive and SyncBack to backup all the
>important data and the video that fits. But USB drives aren't going
>to save you from lightning, theft, fire, flood etc.

But if you're backing up to USB Mark, the obvious next step is to get
the back up data off site.

I too back up to a number of USB drives and then take them to work.

I bring them home once a month, back up and take them back to work.

I risk the one weekend a month having all the data in the same place but
I am seriously thinking of buying additional 2TB drives to use as a
rotating back up system.

All this backing up malarkey started when a mates house burnt down. He
said that he replaced the clothes, the CD's, his toys (let alone the
kids toys!) etc etc. The one thing he lost that he could never replace
were the negatives of the pictures of his kids growing up. That got me
thinking about off site back ups and led me to taking the data to work.

Just my 2p's worth . . . .. .

Neil

wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I came downstairs yesterday to the smell of cooking - not bacon,
but
> the PSU in my main office PC.  Antec silent PSU
>
> I feel your pain Tim :(
>
> WHS folder duplication, like Drobo or RAID isn't a backup.
>
> I'm using an external USB drive and SyncBack to backup all the
> important data and the video that fits. But USB drives aren't going
> to save you from lightning, theft, fire, flood etc.
>
> So I'm also sending around 30GB (Docs, digital photos etc) to
> JungleDisk.com - this took weeks to get up to the cloud (running at
> weekends only), but now is only minutes a day to keep updated.
>
> M.

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums