HA PC questions - suggestions to acheive this

  • Subject: HA PC questions - suggestions to acheive this
  • From: "Gary Tall" <gtcs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 20:13:43 +0100

I've had two recent failures in my Home Automation world, firstly my
Tranquil T7 which was running WHS and Squeezecentre has failed, secondly my
Ganz  CCTV DVR has gone on the blink. I could get the latter repaired but
as
we had two units with the same fault when we bought it three years ago I've
lost faith in it.

I'd like to build a PC to perform the following

Run WHS either as primary OS or on a VM

Perform DVR duties for CCTV

Run Squeezecentre (or whatever its called today)

Act as a library for DVD rips

Capture Sky from SVideo & stream it via VLC

Run HVXL (connected to Homevision via an MSS100)

I've liberated a nice i7 920 (easily overclocks to 4Ghz) & X58
motherboard
with 12Gb ram from other duties but am undecided on how best to set this
up,
i.e whether to run WHS as the primary OS or as a VM and which CCTV card (8
non ip cameras)/software to use so I thought I would ask for
recommendations
here.

What thoughts do you folks have on the above and any other tasks this could
be put to?

Thanks

Gary

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums