Re: Part P

On 03/05/2010 20:57, Simon Haslam wrote:

> When 12V halogens first came out they were often connected with up to
> 10 or so on one transformer. I think the problem then was that when a
> bulb blew (which they invariably do relatively often) there could be a
> surge which would cause other bulbs to fail too.
>
> These days the transformers are electronically regulated (decent ones
> like Osram anyway) to provide a soft start (which improves bulb life)
> and so may not be so susceptible to surges. The convention still seems
> to be to have multiple transformers, though depending on what size
> bulbs you use (and new higher efficiency 12V bulbs use less power for
> the same light output) you can quite happily share two or more
> fittings per transformer (I have 2 per transformer in my kitchen
> ceiling, or 4 for cupboard 10W accent lights).
>
> Finally you also want a transformer that you can get at, especially if
> the floor above is occupied, typically through the fitting. Therefore
> that limits the size (and so power output) it can be.
>
> Note: I'm not a spark so much of the above is speculation ;-)
>
> Simon

In my last house, I had 6 12V downlighters in the bathroom, and ran them
all off one transformer.  It just seemed odd to me that a house-builder
that so clearly wanted to save every penny it could would allow one
transformer per bulb.
Oh well.  I guess I'll just have to find out which bunch of muppets
"built" this place and then make a point of not buying one of
their
properties in future!

Mal

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums