Re: Part P

Hadn't read that before but it doesn't surprise me at all.  It's the
usual
case of the a law missing it's target - how so ?? On the DIY front, the
people that are most likely to be well aware of the requirements are those
that are most likely to have a good background knowledge / amatuer skill
an=
these are probably the DIYers that (laws aside) are probably most likely to
spend the appropriate time & effort & money to do a proper job.
DIYers tha=
never used to care of the quality of what they did (hence the people the
la=
was supposed to 'protect'/'protect us from') are most likely to also not
care about staying inside the law [ or be too ignorant to even know of the
requirements ]

Then there are the people doing it for a job.  I'm sure there will be a %
o=
people allowed to self cert who dont always do compliant work - a friend
last weekend was showing me the work done by his builders "part
p" spark
(cert has been issued).  Including taped-up mains voltage connections for
the UFH sited in the cupboard under the sink and none of it 'fixed' to
anything, much less in any containment/conduit.  Same "qualified"
gent also
told my friend he couldn't (due to part p) have a socket within 3 m of the
sink (?) but decided to put the washer FCU behind the mixer tap (about 5cm
distance).  My friend has diligently done a lot of his own plumbing work
an=
is an example of a DIYer who would have researched the electrics well
enoug=
to have done a better job than this particular pro and/or known his own
limits. [ before I get blasted, I know there are many very good
electricians, but I'm sure they know there are also some scoundrals out
there and "part p certified" just levels the public view and can
give a
false view of who to trust ]

As a competent (small c) householder, part p means the daisy-chained
socket=
I discovered my house is wired with have to remain in place as-is.  Without
part p I'd have changed that (and removed most of the other dodgy stuff),
and paid a pro to fit up-to-date RCD.  With part p, it's staying in place
a=
I am sure any spark will want to do a full re-wire at X*=A3  [ thankfully
p=
art
p doesn't (yet) regulate *removed* items, so I can remove some of the bad
stuff ]

[ maybe I should just get a spark in the replace the CU and give me 6 or 7
ring finals with just 1 socket each on them... then I can just 'extend' the
rings...]

For the record, I think making people do stuff safely is a good idea but
poorly executed as it makes it too costly for competent householders to
mak=
improvements to their own homes.

Maybe wait a week (or will it have to be several) and maybe a new govt will
be included to reduce some of the bureaucracy.

On 3 May 2010 15:31, Stuart Billinghurst <stuart@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Getting annoyed that Fart P is still causing me problems I discovered
tha=
> after the introduction of Part P a parliamentary question was asked
about
> the pre and post introduction level of reported electrical related
> incidents. The official reply showed the number of incidents had
actually
> gone UP!
>
> Thought you guys would like to know that.
>
> Stuart.

>=20=20

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums