Re: UKHA Archive Down

Most interesting IT/Infrastructure topic on the list in AGES! :-)

I've been drawn over to the Forums, where Mark says all the action is!

Still, I wish the data-centre guys luck - - have many many happy (yes, I'm
weird) memories of late nights / 144hour+ shifts, fixing/migrating data,
both physically (different site), and logically (new nas/san/array).

Ahhh, the good old days!   Anyone looking for a sysadmin in the Oxford
area?????

R.

<dbuckley@xxxxxxx<dbuckley%40tex.com>
> >wrote:
>

> > Hi fellas
> >
> > Due to a catastrophic failure at the colo centre where the
Archive lives,
> > its been down for a few days and if we're lucky, it'll be back up
by the
> > weekend. If we're unlucky its going to take me a while to rebuild
an
> > archive site with over 100K messages.
> >
> > The catastrophic event was accidental release of inergen fire
suppressent
> > gas into the data centre. Before the release everything was
humming along
> > nicely. After the release, more than 500 harddisks were trashed.
> >
> > Those of you with a heavy IT background will of course understand
that
> this
> > isn't the way it supposed to be, Inergen is supposed to be a nice
> harmless
> > gas. But the guessing at the moment is that due to either a
sudden change
> > in room pressure, or possibly sudden loud noise, rotating
platters and
> > stationary heads had a touchy feely moment, making the disk
instantly
> > useless.
> >
> > The colo centre, owned by Consonus, is in Utah. WestHost.com, my
hoster
> > host there, along with their sister company vps.net. Both are are
now
> > owned by UK2.net who you'll all be familiar with.

Rob Iles

Harmony - www.domialifestyle.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/Rob_Iles