Re: Re: Anyone tried to upgrade to iOS4 yet?

I dropped my bloody iPhone today ... smashed the screen but amazingly the
touchscreen still works even though bits of the cover glass are dropping
out each time you touch it. Thankfully I never got round to cancelling the
insurance on it (this is the first phone I've ever broken) so I've just got
to be without it for 12 days while they repair it (or replace it)...

Unfortunately I "upgraded" my spare O2 iPhone to OS4 and they
haven't released an unlock app for that yet so I can't use that on my
T-Mobile SIM so I'm back to my trusty old Nokia 6310i ... :-(

Phil

On 22 Jun 2010, at 23:46, mwgardner2000 wrote:

> Well, that was one helluva job, but I am now on iOS4. In the end the
upgrade did only take a few mins - probably about 15 mins I guess. But only
after some drastic action following read up on the interweb of similar
issues. Seemingly there are some apps (unidentified) which have a
propensity to get corrupt (or data associated with them) which leads to
ludicrously long backups. So before I could upgrade, I deleted pretty much
everything from the iPhone....

wrote:

>> Don't get me wrong - I love my iPhone. But I never cease to be
amazed at how cr4p iTunes is....

>> I went for the iOS4 upgrade of my 3G last night. iTunes told me I
should backup the iPhone first. Fair enough I suppose, but why does it take
circa 12 hours to backup 16GB???

>> Anyhow, the backup finished this morning so I went for the upgrade
again.

>> Supposedly iOS downloaded OK, but then, guess what.... iTunes
decided to backup the phone. Again.... So, we're only about an hour into it
so far. But I have no clue as to whether or not the backup is actually
working....

>> During the first backup the frame at the top of the iTunes window
reported progress of the backup, albeit slowly. This time, I have instead a
pop-up window to report progress... Why the inconsistency?! Anyhow, this
pop up initially had a progress bar that scrolled back and forth, but now
has no indication of progress whatsoever - the progress bar is just grey.

>> Now, surprise surprise, I've received a phone call this morning.
Unusual that, but it is supposed to be a phone. Anyhow, since that phone
call, the iPhone itself is no longer showing the 'Sync In Progress' screen.

>> So is the backup still running or not? Did the received call
interrupt the backup? Who knows!! Neither iTunes nor the iPhone itself seem
to want to tell me!