Re: Anyone tried to upgrade to iOS4 yet?

  • Subject: Re: Anyone tried to upgrade to iOS4 yet?
  • From: "mwgardner2000" <groups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 08:51:13 -0000

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the response. I'm definitely using USB2, although yes, I do have
daisy chained hubs. Can't say that that has noticeably caused a problem in
the past though, but given what you have said, I will stop the current
backup and connect direct.

Would you expect a received phone call to interrupt the process though?

Cheers
Mark

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Paul Gale <groups2@...> wrote:

> Yes - did my 3G 16Gb last night - took nearly 3 hours to do the
upgrade with a full phone. Apps seemed to take as long if not longer than
the videos and music (vid and music are significantly bigger) - maybe the
upgrade does some housekeeping or re-creates save files and settings etc???

> Before that, a normal backup took 5-10 minutes max - have you checked
your USB connection - is it plugged into a USB2 port etc and not
daisy-chained over several hubs???

> I think your backup question is related to the upgrade - backup that
you instigated will be shown in the top status bar but upgrade process does
a different backup (I think) and this is shown in the upgrade popup window.

> Paul.

mwgardner2000
> Sent: 22 June 2010 09:07
> To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
> Subject: [ukha_d] Anyone tried to upgrade to iOS4 yet?
>
> Don't get me wrong - I love my iPhone. But I never cease to be amazed
at how cr4p iTunes is....

> I went for the iOS4 upgrade of my 3G last night. iTunes told me I
should backup the iPhone first. Fair enough I suppose, but why does it take
circa 12 hours to backup 16GB???

> Anyhow, the backup finished this morning so I went for the upgrade
again.

> Supposedly iOS downloaded OK, but then, guess what.... iTunes decided
to backup the phone. Again.... So, we're only about an hour into it so far.
But I have no clue as to whether or not the backup is actually working....

> During the first backup the frame at the top of the iTunes window
reported progress of the backup, albeit slowly. This time, I have instead a
pop-up window to report progress... Why the inconsistency?! Anyhow, this
pop up initially had a progress bar that scrolled back and forth, but now
has no indication of progress whatsoever - the progress bar is just grey.

> Now, surprise surprise, I've received a phone call this morning.
Unusual that, but it is supposed to be a phone. Anyhow, since that phone
call, the iPhone itself is no longer showing the 'Sync In Progress' screen.

> So is the backup still running or not? Did the received call interrupt
the backup? Who knows!! Neither iTunes nor the iPhone itself seem to want
to tell me!