Re: DVD to iPad Software

  • Subject: Re: DVD to iPad Software
  • From: "keyvan2r" <k1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 12:03:18 -0000

I use handbrake to convert movies for use on ipad. All my media is
stored on an unRaid server - used to be WHS but tired of the very very poor
performance when streaming blu-ray - got unraid 2 weeks ago and so it's
been great. No problems at all! had 7 clients (the most I have inc. my
desktops) streaming BD movies at once and not a single missed frame or most
importantly NO stutter/freeze - this was always a problem on WHS which
really spoilt the viewing experience.
Anyway, I point handbrake to the movie folder on the server and save the
.m4v output on the Mac's local drive, then I have to tell itunes, the photo
tab, to sync with the movie folder. The result is that the movie files end
up under photos and while they play OK there is no DVD like controls, menu,
next scene, etc. Just pause / play.
I am sure there is a way to get these files to show up under films on
itunes / ipad, just don't know how...? Will keep looking around for a
solution.

> > Does Steve allow DVDs to be played from a server or do they have
to be put
> on the iPad first?
>
> You can use Air Video or StreamToMe to live stream content to
> iPad/iPhone/Touch - re-encodes on the fly like the PS3 media server
> do.
>
> > And what about photos - can they be displayed from a server?
>
> Wouldn't it be great if there was an app coming that could do all this
> stuff.
>
> M.

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums