Re: iPad...taking the plunge

If it's not too late to offer an opinion...
1) How you described your use for the iPad is exactly how I use mine (apart
from the sailing in the Isle of Wight bit). I went for the 16GB wi-fi
option and, if you're sure that's how you're going to use yours, 16GB
should be more than enough for you. I use mine around my home, the only
time it's left the house is for a bit of show and tell to some friends and
workmates. I hardly store any data on mine apart from apps and photos.
2) I haven't bought a case yet so no recommendations from me for this one.
I've looked at the Marware one but I'm not fully convinced yet as I'd like
a case that I can angle in both portrait and landscape. Saying that, If I
have to compromise the Marware is a very nice option.
3) I'm not a screen protector fan to be honest. I haven't got one on my
iPhone or iPad. I agree with the 'get a lens cloth' comment though.
4) Like I said, I don't own a case but it will definitely give you piece of
mind when you're on the move. And you can always take it out of its case
for the full wow effect. 80)
5) For the kitchen I use a bookchair (http://bit.ly/9zZF0L). It has the added
bonus of being able to use it for other things when I'm not using it with
the iPad.

Dave C

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Peter + Jane <pandj.munnoch@...> wrote:

> Thanks very much to all who responded.
> Case advice taken.
> Quite fancy a techie stand like this
> http://store.apple.com/uk/product/H1060ZM/A
> Digging deep re 32 GB.
> Thanks again
> Peter
>

> At 15:22 17/07/2010, you wrote:
> >

> >--- In <mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>ukha_d@xxxxxxx,
> >Peter + Jane <pandj.munnoch@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello
> > > I am poised to order an iPad for SWMBO. It will be used for
photos,
> > > kitchen internet access and general browsing / email at home
on WifI.
> > > I don't see it being used "out and about" much. We
are both retired
> > > and live on the Isle of Wight. Only exception could be to
take it
> > > with us when sailing in which case updating email on marina
or other
> > > hotspot WiFi should suffice. Not doing much video these
days. Not
> > > bothered about using it for movies.
> > >
> > > A few questions for those who have iPads already
> > > 1.My conclusion is the base model (16GB WiFi only) will be
adequate.
> > > Am I right?
> > > 2. I am concerned about ease of dropping the thing (eg in
the
> > > kitchen). Any recommendation re bumpers?
> > > 3. Is a screen protector a must, or is the screen scratch
resistant
> > > enough for modest (hopefully careful!) use?
> > > 4. Is a case really recommended (for example when taking it
> > > friends as a photo album)?
> > > 5. Would a substantial, stable stand be a good idea for
kitchen use?
> > > The dock looks a bit marginal!
> > >
> > > I would be really grateful for any experience. I don't want
to break
> > > the budget with a specification we won't need and
accessories we won't use.
> > > Where accessories are recommended, there are a lot of
suppliers out
> > > there so recommendations would be great.
> > > Equally on the specification side, I would like to avoid
"if only"........
> > > TIA
> > > Peter
> > >
> > > PS Sonos and Active Home Pro will follow pdq!

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums