Re: VMWare - Call me thick

  • Subject: Re: VMWare - Call me thick
  • From: Simon Haslam <simon_haslam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 10:11:27 +0000 (GMT)

VMware provides an abstraction layer above the hardware - your VM
doesn't s=
ee the physical disk or devices themselves but a special VMware version.
No=
rmally the disks made available to the guest VM would be carved out of the
=
underlying drives, though it is possible to pass through raw disk devices
w=
hich I suppose is what you'd have to do to get WHS to then do the disk
mana=
gement (I don't know how well that would work - you'd need to do some
caref=
ul testing).

Serial/USB devices: you can pass through USB devices to a VM with the
deskt=
op products (not vSphere/ESXi) and presumably serial ports too.

There's also a tool which allows you to take a running physical host and
co=
nvert it to a VM image which can be quite handy.

I don't know if you'll get any Windows activation/licensing issues.

VMware products:
I think your best starting point is to use the free VMware Server (http://w=
ww.vmware.com/products/server/) which runs inside the OS already installed
=
on the host machine.

If your servers aren't heavily utilised I can see benefits from using
VMwar=
e for both power saving and disaster recovery, however you may find you
hav=
e to put a reasonable amount of work in to become familiar enough with it.
=
I suggest you try out VMware Server on a spare PC first to see how you
find=
it.

Simon