Re: [Very OT] : Install Watchers and Automating Personlised Updates

  • Subject: Re: [Very OT] : Install Watchers and Automating Personlised Updates
  • From: "Tim" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 16:00:20 -0000

Hi,

I think you can do this with the latest version of Acronis - you can do the
disk image part and it has a feature that takes account of different
hardware when the disk image is deployed.  I have never had cause to use
it, but have seen it as an intall option - may be worth a look.
Cheers

Tim.

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "noughtomate" <balraj_jassal@...>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Hoping some of you may have some experience with this...
>
> I'm trying to find away of automating the installation of Windows
application and any other customisations I wish to make.

> I have something similar on my Windows Mobile Device (google 'Sashimi
Windows Mobile'), where I am able to install all of my applications,
BlueTooth, WiFi, Email Settings, Registry Tweaks etc... in one go. But I'm
struggling to find anything similar for Windows.

> I'm aware the obvious answer is simply to use Disk Imaging, but this
would present problems when considering variations of hardware or software.
Ideally, I would like to build different package sets and then deploy them
as I please to which ever destination hardware without having to look
through my own notes on how I've personalised the application.

> I'm also aware of the concept of RIS servers, but as far as I can tell
, these only perform the basic non attended application install, but do not
apply and end user level personalisation.
> There are two elements to this :
>
>  - 1 : The application 'watcher' which would tell me what changes have
been applied against which files / databases / registry
>  - 2 : The installer which runs a non attended install and then
applies my pre-defined tweaks

> Apologies this is Off Topic, but I'm hoping some of you running a
business may have some experience with this.

> Does any such product exist ?  This is needed against Home and Server
variations of Windows (XP & 2003 and beyond), though a Linux  one would
be useful as well.

> Any pointers / advice would be useful.
>
> Many Thanks

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums