Advice for PC controlled home heating

  • Subject: Advice for PC controlled home heating
  • From: John Molohan <john.molohan@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 17:14:42 +0000

Hi,

Some quick background, first post and I know almost nothing about
plumbing or HA but have a good knowledge of IT.

We're about to finish our refurb on our first house. Neither my plumber
or my electrician know anything about HA. Our boiler is in and we're
soon going to be fitting thermostats and a timer clock.

We have 2 heating zones (upstairs and downstairs) and hot water coming
off it, TRVs on each rad. Sparcs says he'd normally fit a Horstmann 220v
3 channel time clock to control the heating. From what I understand
there will also be two thermostats, one in each zone.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for the equivalent of the
Horstmann that can be controlled by a PC?

The control clock will be beside a PC so it will be easy to wire to that
but the two zone thermostats won't. The house is almost fully floored so
it would be very difficult to get cabling to the thermostats, if it was
a must I might be able to reroute some Cat5 to them. I know - I should
have asked this question before we started closing up :)

After some research last night I looked at the Heatmiser PRT-N but I'm
guessing it's not the thermostats I want to wire to the PC it's the time
clock. Is the heatmiser TM4-TS the equivalent of the Hrstmann? If it is
it doesn't look like it can be connected to a PC so that doesn't solve it.

Any help, advice, corrections etc greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums