Re: Wind Turbines and Heating Water

  • Subject: Re: Wind Turbines and Heating Water
  • From: "patrick_o_matic" <patrick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 15:37:14 -0000

Under normal circumstances I'd agree with you - but in this case (a)
the OP=
is living on the side of a mountain and likely to have average wind speeds=
in excess of 5m/s, and (b) the load is only being used to raise the temper=
ature of a thermal store, which is about as efficient a way as possible to
=
consume the energy. The relatively long lag times and usage patterns for
wa=
ter heating also make it well matched in this scenario to my mind.=20

In the uk,  the game changes of course...

Patrick

p://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/article6994439.ece=20
>=20
> On UK Selfbuild, Mark Brinkley is recognised as a source of info
> See
> http://markbrinkley.blogspot.com/search/label/Renewables
> This is meant in the spirit of hth. Many=20
> selfbuilders have decided against. Would hate you=20
> to go to all that trouble and cost only to be disappointed.
> Have you looked at Navitron.org forums?
> Rgds
> Peter
> >

> >--- In=20
> ><mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>ukha_d@xxxxxxx,=20
> >Graham Kiff <graham.kiff@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Patrick
> > >
> > > The original reason for splitting the battery=20
> > banks was to be able to supply both 24v & 48v=20
> > (I didn't realise 48v inverters were so readily=20
> > available). The reason for the batteries is=20
> > purely voltage regulation rather than storage=20
> > of power. I therefore think I can revert to just one bank of
batteries.

> > > The plan was to use all the power produced to=20
> > heat my thermal store to ~70c, then once=20
> > reached, dump the excess load via the inverted=20
> > to the grid. I assume therefore I should use an=20
> > inverter rated to the maximum output of the=20
> > turbine (1.4Kw in this case) - correct?
> > >
> > > So my setup will basically be:
> > > Turbine -> 4x12v batteries (in series) -> SEA24 440Amp
relay ->
> > > Either48v DC Immersion Heater
> > > Or48v Grid-Tie Inverter
> > >

> > > Cost-wise I should be able buy everything for ~=A3900
> > > How does this sound?
> > >
> > > Cheers
> > > Graham
> > >

> >Ah, that all makes sense.
> >If you think you may need to heat the tank from=20
> >the utility supply at some point, you could fit=20
> >a second 240V AC immersion heater rather than=20
> >trying to use a 48V high current power supply.
> >If you are using spring water or bore water,=20
> >check with your neighbours regarding the use of=20
> >copper heaters and tanks, as the impurities=20
> >present can lead to pin hole corrosion and=20
> >premature failure (if necessary, use stainless -=20
> >hideously expensive I think?). (Or if you have=20
> >an existing installation, you'll know whether this is the case
already.)
> >Yes, rate the inverter to the maximum turbine=20
> >output. I think you will still need a dump load=20
> >to be able to safely disconnect the battery bank=20
> >from the turbine and to deal with overcharging=20
> >in the event there is no load (e.g. power cut in a gale?).
> >Obviously the inverter will need to comply with=20
> >local feed-in regs - there's a specific safety=20
> >standard that is relevant that prevents the=20
> >inverter reconnecting to the grid within 3=20
> >minutes of reconnection of utility power to=20
> >guard against frying of linesmen - the cheap=20
> >chinese knockoffs don't generally have this certification.
> >Cheers
> >Patrick

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums