Re: Wind Turbines and Heating Water

  • Subject: Re: Wind Turbines and Heating Water
  • From: "patrick_o_matic" <patrick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 11:41:31 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Graham Kiff <graham.kiff@...> wrote:

> Hi Patrick
>=20
> The original reason for splitting the battery banks was to be able to
sup=
ply both 24v & 48v (I didn't realise 48v inverters were so readily
availabl=
e).  The reason for the batteries is purely voltage regulation rather than
=
storage of power.  I therefore think I can revert to just one bank of
batte=
ries.
>=20
> The plan was to use all the power produced to heat my thermal store to
~7=
0c, then once reached, dump the excess load via the inverted to the grid.
=
I assume therefore I should use an inverter rated to the maximum output of
=
the turbine (1.4Kw in this case) - correct?
>=20
> So my setup will basically be:
> Turbine -> 4x12v batteries (in series) -> SEA24 440Amp relay
->
> 	Either	48v DC Immersion Heater
> 	Or		48v Grid-Tie Inverter
>=20
>=20
> Cost-wise I should be able buy everything for ~=A3900
> How does this sound?
>=20
> Cheers
> Graham
>=20

Ah, that all makes sense.
If you think you may need to heat the tank from the utility supply at some
=
point, you could fit a second 240V AC immersion heater rather than trying
t=
o use a 48V high current power supply.
If you are using spring water or bore water, check with your neighbours
reg=
arding the use of copper heaters and tanks, as the impurities present can
l=
ead to pin hole corrosion and premature failure (if necessary, use
stainles=
s - hideously expensive I think?). (Or if you have an existing
installation=
, you'll know whether this is the case already.)
Yes, rate the inverter to the maximum turbine output. I think you will
stil=
l need a dump load to be able to safely disconnect the battery bank from
th=
e turbine and to deal with overcharging in the event there is no load
(e.g.=
power cut in a gale?).
Obviously the inverter will need to comply with local feed-in regs -
there'=
s a specific safety standard that is relevant that prevents the inverter
re=
connecting to the grid within 3 minutes of reconnection of utility power
to=
guard against frying of linesmen - the cheap chinese knockoffs don't gener=
ally have this certification.
Cheers
Patrick

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums