TomTom GO or TomTom iPod?

My old TomTom unit has died, and I need another... I now have an iPod
Touch
64GB, so I'm torn between whether to get another dedicated TomTom unit, or
to go for a TomTom carkit for the iPod..

There appear to be pros & cons either way...

iPod route is considerably cheaper; =A380 for the kit + =A360 for the app
v=
s.
=A3250 for a go 750, saving =A3110
however, iPod version appears to NOT allow use of the TomTom Home PC app,
nor of any of the TomTom LIVE services... Also it won=92t work as a
standal=
one
nav unit without the carkit since the GPS hardware is embedded in the
carkit, this also requires a power supply to function, so I wouldn't be
abl=
to use the app anywhere other than in the car.. (unless I could find a
separate self-powered Bluetooth GPS receiver that would work with the
app..=
.
- It would be nice to be able to use it when walking for example, - I have
in the past used the old TomTom unit like this to find my way around in
foreign cities...

Late last year I subscribed to a 12-month guaranteed latest map update
service so I can always get the newest maps for free within that period, -
that has about 8-9 months left on it, and since iPod version doesn't use
th=
home app, I assume I can't use that sub to get any map update that might
come out in the near future...

Not sure how relevant the Live services would be, since it's a monthly
subscription that I'm not terribly inclined to pay unless I see some
compelling benefit... I didn't subscribe to them with the old TomTom, so
maybe I wouldn't with a new one either, thus ruling that out as a major
influencing factor...

*IF* I could also purchase an additional self-powered GPS unit that I could
pair with the iPod & which would work with the TomTom app, then maybe
I'd
get the best of both worlds... carkit could live permanently in the car,
separate GPS unit could live in my backpack so I could use the app when
walking...

Decisions, decisions....

So, does anyone here actually use the TomTom iPod/iPhone combination? - if
so what do you think of it? - anyone here used both options and have any
comparative opinions?

TIA

Paul G.

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums