Wind Turbines and Heating Water

  • Subject: Wind Turbines and Heating Water
  • From: Graham Kiff <graham.kiff@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 23:01:56 +0100

Hi Guys

I need some electrical expertise/advise...
I don't think this is too off topic as I plan to integrate this system into
Cortex (Idratek) for control and monitoring.

I'm planning on installing a Hornet 1Kw (max output 1.4Kw @ 70mph) wind
turbine with the intention of heating hot water and dumping any excess back
into the grid.  My question is, do I go for the 12/24/48v version of the
turbine?

The DC Immersion heater is a 48v 1200w element
The Inverter is a 24v 500w Sinergex

I was originally planning to use 6 x Yuasa 12v 4Ah batteries in 2 banks (2
x in series = 24v and 4 x in series = 48v), but am not sure about the
configuration now and would like some opinions.

Should I maybe try to find a 48v inverter?  Is 500w enough considering the
turbine can output up to 1400w?

I plan on switching the charge load between banks using a 440Amp
Regulator/Controller, which will be switched by an Idratek QRH module,
triggered by Thermistor sensors on my hot water tank connected to an
Idratek QAI module.

TIA
Graham

Links: