Re: Dichroic to Dimmable LED - Umm.....

  • Subject: Re: Dichroic to Dimmable LED - Umm.....
  • From: "abovingdon" <bov@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 17:49:40 -0000

I'm following this thread with interest. I too want to dump my expensive
halogens for something cheaper to run but like others gave up on swapping
like for like.

So what are the options if we avoid trying to swap like for like, does
anyone have any suggestions for lighting a room while retaining control of
the scene and without requiring lots of 50w bulbs?

There are a number of multi-colour wall wash LED systems, there is dimmable
CFL and we can still use the odd halogen in places. What if I add more
lamps around or put some more complex lights in main rooms?

Andy.

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Richard \(lists account\)"
<rich_lists@...> wrote:

> After seeing inside several of the available GU10 replacements when
they
> have died, there is no way I would be considering them dimming or not.
>
> Line voltage smoothed into 400v electrolytic caps, small smd resistors
> across the resulting 375v nominal voltage, nothing preventing the
board
> moving too close to the alu heatsink which is not grounded since it
has none
> in the terminal - potential shock hazard there IMO.
>
> And thats before you even try to start dimming a constant current
supply
> that needs smoothing caps to eliminate flicker with a phase angle
dimmer.

> It's just not there yet. Even the G5.3 based 12v ones are a pain to
try to
> control, and IMO as long as they try to be drop in replacements for
> incandescent lamps then they will suck for controlling them.
>
> Really there needs to be a current controlled power supply for them,
and
> someone could make one that has a phase angle dimming input like there
are
> dimmable CFL lamps, but that would need a different base to prevent
mixups
> with low voltage AC or DC fittings.
>
> Its great to want to save money and get a decent white light with LED,
but
> controlling it is something I have given up on for now. Even
electronic
> transformers make problems with LEDs because of the high frequency
that they
> output messing with the rectifiers in some LED replacements.

replacement" doesn't
> > work with the X10 modules.
> >
> > They will dim, they will ramp up and down within a certain range
but
> > they cut out at the upper and lower ends of the dimming range.
Apart
> > from which they produce horrendous line noise.
> >
> > So far I've tried both dimmable GU10 (2 versions, 1 the Cree LED)
and a
> > liquid cooled LED SES fitting. I've also fitted a load of GU4 LED
> > replacements and, despite being advertised as a
"drop-in" replacement
> > for the standard bulbs, they do need pukka LED drivers fitted and
not
> > the halogen transformers or the LED bulbs have a nasty habit of
> > overheating and blowing themselves to bits, literally.
> >
> > They do not produce the same sort of light (different
temperature) or