Re: Which digital photo frame

How about building your own?
http://awooga.nl/the-eee-pc-digital-picture-frame
 You can pick an Eee
PC up for less than =A3100 and with less than a tenner in parts you can
have your own frame around it.  Add a touchscreen overlay to it for
another =A325 and it can be a great HA interface too...

As to software, mine runs just firefox full screen with a bit of
javascript/php to deal with serving pictures and information.

2010/1/9 Kevin Hawkins <yahoogroupskh@xxxxxxx>:
> Hi Peter,
>
> =A0 =A0Can you push one image to the display in near realtime and get
it
> displayed =A0for a fixed period - so that slideshow doesn't step
forward
> ? =A0I wanted to have a WiFi or cable connected frame that I could
push a
> picture of the incoming caller based on Caller ID - is this do-able ?
> How long is the delay via FrameChannel ?
>
> =A0 =A0Or if someone knows of a frame that would do this locally via
IP
> then that would be even more suitable. =A0 The normal Windows
slideshow
> support thing doesn't sound to be useful for this applicaton...but I
> haven't used it - =A0so someone might advise otherwise ?
>
> =A0 K
>
> On 09/01/2010 16:43, White, Peter wrote:
>> I just bought a Kodak one (after returning a Pandigital to Costco
as the=
interface was horribly clunky). =A0The frame was good for the money (aroun=
d GBP70 for a 10" wifi-connected), but the best thing about it is that
it's=
compatible with www.framechannel.com<http://www.framechannel.com>.
=A0What=
that means is that you can link to framechannel to show dynamic content. =
=A0In my case, it's linked to a certain album on Picasa, so as soon as new
=
pics are loaded to it, the frame displays them. =A0Additionally, in the
mor=
nings I display the weather and traffic conditions. =A0It's a very
flexible=
interface. =A0Right now it's free, I'm sure in the future it'll either bec=
ome ad-supported or subscription, but I'd be happy to pay. =A0The final
coo=
l thing is that you also get an email address with the framechannel
sign-up=
, so friends and family can just email pics to that account, and they
appea=
r on the frame. =A0You can choose to approve pics before they go online,
if=
you have some dodgy friends :)

>> The one annoyance is that the frame only has a single on-off time
per da=
y, so during the week it's busy displaying pictures to nobody. =A0If I
powe=
r it down (ie through z-wave or x-10), it doesn't default to a slide show,
=
so there's no way to just have it switched on when there's people in the
ho=
use. =A0Other frames have motion detection, or more sophisticated timers,
y=
ou might want to consider this. =A0The wifi is very useful though, and
work=
s well.

>> I did a LOT of research before buying, if you do the same you'll
see the=
re's no ideal frame that has everything right now, but the market is
develo=
ping quickly.