Re: Re: [OT] TalkTalk Broadband - WTF?

From: "Paul" <paul@xxxxxxx>
> I'm stuck with ADSL and although our house is only 10 years old I'm
stuck
> about 1.5 miles from the exchange.
>
> The biggest problem with ADSL is that it is using infrastructure that
was
> never designed to take high bandwidth data. The BT network is a
telephone
> network, hell in the 70's parts of it were using aluminium cable
rather
> than copper. Cable was designed to deliver data in the form of TV
which is
> much more demanding than voice. For those of us reliant on BT then
we'll
> have to wait for Fibre to the Cabinet for the next significant leap in
> performance.

Athough I'm less than 400 yards from the exchange (as the crow flies) the
lines take a longer route and are aluminium. Voice calls aren't bad but I
never got more than 28.8 kbps on dialup and barely get 512kbps on adsl- ISP
say "you are on a very old package sir". Really wants to make me
upgrade
given I can't sustain 512.

Bro