[OT] TalkTalk Broadband - WTF?

  • Subject: [OT] TalkTalk Broadband - WTF?
  • From: "darren_karp2001" <darren.karp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2010 19:23:22 -0000

Hi all,

Thinking about moving my broadband and phone over to talktalk but spotted
this on their sign up legal BS thing, I was interested in their pro 24mb
service.

Broadband speed:
We have estimated your broadband speed based upon your actual distance from
the telephone exchange to which your line is connected. We use information
we already have on other active lines of a similar distance to make this
estimation. When you are live with TalkTalk we provide you with a speed
test service on our website so you can check your actual throughput
(speed). You should always use a number of tests to gauge your actual speed
as number of factors can effect the result, typically these can commonly
be:
The time of day you are online and the number of other users online at the
same time
The website you are visiting
Internal wiring in your home especially if your modem is not connected to
the Primary telephone socket.
What does our Turbo Boost do?
Where the telephone line supports Broadband download speeds in excess of 8
Meg, we will offer you a Turbo Boost. This boost enables the line to run at
the maximum uncapped download speed your line can support. We will quote
this speed to you when we check your line.If you choose not to take the
boost, we will place a cap on your line holding the speed at a maximum of
8Mbs, your actual speed can also be effected by other factors as listed
above and you can test your speed at any time on our website.

Anyone have some comments?
Darren