low power server question

  • Subject: low power server question
  • From: Robin Edwards <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 07:37:00 +0000

Hi folks,

I've converted my HA server to run on a low powered server, which
according to my power meter consumes about 16.5W, so lets call it 20 for
safety.  I got to thinking and came up with a way to reduce my power
consumption cost further by only drawing power on cheap time (midnight
'til 8 for my contract).  I could control it by an X10 module and the
server could switch itself on/off accordingly.

So, being no electrician, I need some help, can anyone help me answer
the following:

1: Some sort of UPS or battery device is needed that gets charged and
sits between the x10 module and the server, correct?  What type of
device would do the job?
2: Has anyone on the list done this and was it successful?
3: What is the maths needed to calculate how big a 'device' I need.

I bet I've missed a load of questions and even if I get it right, once
I've sorted the device I bet the price will be high.

My underlying reason for doing this is to lower the cost of power and at
present something like 2/3 of our usage (in units) is daytime.

Any comments/help appreciated, if I get to a successful conclusion I'll
let the list know where I ended up.

robin

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums