Re: [OT] Mac advice...

On 09/02/2010 22:09, Phillip Harris wrote:
> After nearly a fortnight I¹ve installed Office for Mac trial
version and am
> now looking at running Windows in a Virtual machine (there¹s some
apps that
> I just cannot run under OSX unfortunately) ... Possibilities seem to
be
> VMWare and Parallels and it appears that VMWare will run several
OS¹s
> (Windows, Linux) whereas Parallels seems to be Windows only.
> So, getting back to my opening statement, if anyone has any
preferences
> between the two then I¹d be most happy to know which way you
swing and
> why...

Parallels will happily virtualise non-windows OSs, but I'd always
recommend VMWare if only because they seem to have less of a nasty habit
of charging for updates.

Parallels also have a screwy regionalisation system where by if you buy
a boxed version in the UK, your support has to come from the UK
publisher and thus you can't download the updates off the web (or at
least that's how it used to work - I stopped paying their update ransom
a while back).

Jim

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums