RE: Like an Ipad

I bought an Archos 101 for Christmas and so far I've been reasonably
pleased. Intended usage was for HA control and web surfing in the main
sitting room and I think it will work well for that. The viewing angles
aren't great but, when handheld its not really a problem. Google market was
a few min browsing and a quick install and now works fine. I'm a little
disappointed at how badly some apps scale onto the bigger screen - though I
guess this will improve as people become more aware of the variety of
resolutions android apps may appear on. It would be useful if some apps
made
it clear what resolution they were designed for.

The stand is a little odd. If you wanted a stand I'm sure you could buy
one...so why include one i'm not sure. I can't seem to get mine to sit
totally flush with the case when closed. The downside of the table being so
thin and light  I guess. - which does make it a pleasure to use.

Performance is in line with what I was expecting. Browsing is OK. Flash
support is sluggish (an optimised version should be available soon I
believe). I hope it will be upgradeable to later android versions (Archos
have already provided a 2.1 to 2.2 upgrade) but I'm not counting on it.
Overall I'm happy - for the price point in current tablet market its a good
compromise between iPad/galaxy tab top end and the very cheap resistive
bottom end.

I also have  a Keene "IR Anywhere" box (network IR) sat next to
me which
will be the main enabler for server sourced IR control....just trying to
pick the best source of Interface/server software. Probably a different
thread though.....

Dean