Re: Domotiga

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Simon Haslam <simon_haslam@...> wrote:

> Thank you Richard - yes, I had read your article when it came out
(though had fogotten the detail) - thanks for taking the trouble to write
it.

> As it happens I have had mh running in its default configuration but
was a little overwhelmed - your pointer about hvac_brian.pl is very helpful
as I hadn't come across it before. If I get it going I'll try and
contribute something to the wiki.

Yes, there's a bit of a learning curve, but plenty of examples to help.
Once you get going, it's surprisingly easy to do some quite complex things,
and there are perl modules to do or interface with almost everything you
can think of.  That said, I did need to create some code to pull BBC
weather RSS conditions & forecasts which I must get round to
documenting/publishing.  I found the weather.com forecasts (existing code
in mh) too inaccurate for setting my under floor heating.

> It's interesting that you mentioned xPL - I'm still trying to decide
whether I should be worrying about xPL or xAP (I like the look of Kevin's
excellent xAP Flash project for the Joggler) and can't understand why there
are two almost identical protocols, both struggling to reach a critical
mass.

I think xPL forked off xAP - I'm sure someone on the list knows the
history.  Mh supports both - I think simultaneously (I don't use xAP tho).
I chose xPL as I liked the linux xPL lib written in C by Gerry Duprey (http://www.xpl4java.org/xPL4Linux).
It's efficient & reliable, it compiles without errors and just works. I
use his hub as it seems to work better than the mh inbuilt one for me.  I
can't say the same for xPLHAL though - unfortunately I've had little
success with several different versions - YMMV.

> At the moment I only have a 1-wire interface to worry about so keeping
things simple and robust is my main concern. Last night I was looking at
the xPL HAL component which seems to have an event manager that would do
the job, but I'm beginning to think that mh may actually be easier to get
going.

> BTW at the moment I'm altering the boiler flow temp by switching in a
resistor in the weather compensation circuit (using a 1-wire controlled
relay) but have lofty aims of building an Open Therm interface to set the
flow temp... one day...

Well now that I'm interested in. I have a Vaillant Ecomax boiler c. 2004,
but haven't found any documentation on how to control its flow temp except
by a Russian interface I came across the other day (see http://www.hx7.net/vaillant/how.html
- perhaps this is you?). I'd like to do more than on/off demand - simply -
especially in this weather! There's an RJ11 diagnostics port on the
controller...

cheers R

> Simon

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums