RE: Central locking for houses

Only that this is a notoriously difficult thing to do... - I do recall
was a TV programme on this topic a couple of years ago, - I think it was
reported on AutomatedHome...

Among other things, difficulties are going be:

Integrating central locking hardware into your existing doors/windows... -
if you have modern uPVC units I know from experience that this can be a
nightmare. - Even trying to integrate a simple magnetic sensor for the
in a nice, tidy, integrated, "professional" looking manner isn't

Would you only do doors, or should you consider window too? - that makes
whole proposition a lot harder... - the scrawny scroats an probably gain
access almost as easily through an open window as through a door, so if you
only do the doors, is it really worth the bother?

What operating model should you use in the event of a system failure? -
fail-unlocked, fail-locked? - will your home insurance be affected? - will
you operate this in addition to the manual locking mechanisms you currently
have, or would it be your sole means of securing the doors/windows.=20

At the simplest level, I guess you could just use solenoids to operate a
deadbolt, - but would you want latching ones that only need to be energised
in order to change state? - saves energy, but then how easy would it be to
operate them manually if you need to get out in a hurry with no
available? (like a fire evacuation) - Alternatives that require constant
energising to remain in either the locked or unlocked position offer
possibilities for automatic unlocking during a power fail, but obviously
then introduce security concerns, and increased power consumption... Plus
just tacking on a hulking great solenoid and a deadbolt would never pass
muster in my house... :-)

It's a nice idea, and probably not that to implement if designed into the
fabric of a building at the outset, but as retrofit I'd imagine its more
aggro than its worth...

Just my =A30.02

Paul G.

I'd not
> have noticed anything and put it down to a false alarm.
> This has spooked my wife, so I have been investigating "Central
Locking" =